These simple craft projects were the start of our felt doll/statue fun! We got a lot more adventurous after making these first few. But these are still just as cute.
St Anne with baby Mary would be a fun craft to make on Mary’s birthday (Sept 8), Holy Name of Mary (Sept 12), or the feast day of Sts. Anne and Joachim (July 26).
Mother Mary with baby Jesus doll/statue would be good for the month of May, Christmas, or other Marian feast days.
These cute little craft doll/statues can be used as a doll for young children, or as a statue. This craft requires the use of hot glue, so if you plan to make these with small children they will need help. Older children may be able to do these on their own if they are accustomed to using hot glue.
- blue felt dress *(see felt cutting instructions)
- felt head covering * we used white for St Anne and light blue for Mary
- wooden old fashioned clothespin
- 4-inch piece of string
- mini old fashioned clothespin or a craft stick
- Scrap piece of white felt (about 1/2 the size of the head covering)
- wooden ring (to help the doll stand, if it needs help)
- Hot glue
Pull all the dress parts down against the clothespin and tightly knot a string around its waist. You may need an extra hand to hold the dress down while you knot the waist string. Now, cut off the extra string ends. If the dress is too long, cut it to the correct length. If the opening on the sides of the dress are showing, hot glue it together.